[Observation] relation to Dataset

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 22 07:04:54 PST 2013

I strongly object to this statement:

"the data product may be the result of combining data from multiple primary
(physical) observations.  In this case the resulting data product is a new
processed "observation" to which a new unique observation identifier should
be assigned."

We really need to distinguish clearly between Datasets and Observations.
An Observation represents an operation that is characterized by a
configuration
- instrument characteristics, coordinate volume and properties,
calibration, etc.
A Dataset is a container of bytes that may have resulted from an Observation
(the byte stream that came out of the telescope or various direct processing
products of it), a simulation, or the processing and analysis of (possibly
a subset)
of one or more parent Datasets.
Each Dataset also carries metadata detailing coordinate characteristics,
the nature
of the Dataset and its components, and its provenance regarding its parents.

Blurring the line between Observations and Datasets and carelessly forcing
one
to assume the characteristics of the other is going to get us into major
trouble.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA