[Observation] relation to Dataset

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 22 07:14:18 PST 2013

Thanks Doug..
I am basing most of my content from the ObsCore document.. I'm going back
to if frequently these days.

This thread is discussing the relationship between Observation and
Dataset... both ways.

The previous comments on the thread indicate that the desire is for an  M
<-> N relation.
   - 1 Observation may contain N Datasets
   - 1 Dataset may be derived from M Observations

The first is in agreement with the ObsCore text, though not the diagrams.

I am pointing out that the ObsCore text and diagrams, and your description
above, specifically state that
  - 1 Dataset may be derived from 1 Observation

So changing that relationship is problematic for ObsCore.

My opinion, this issue is not critical for the ImageDM project, but for
whoever is to work the update to Observation/ObsCore.