[obs-tap]observable quantities in observations and their UCDs

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jun 18 08:46:57 PDT 2010

Greetings, all.

On 2010 Jun 17, at 14:17, Mireille Louys wrote:

> At the last interop in Victoria, we decided to build
> up a list of observable quantities that are measured in an observation
> and to attach to it a proper Ucd. These will be the observables
> considered for the Obs/Tap specification .
>
> I gathered material from the Polarisation Note and Interferometry note by Anita.
> I included items from Francois's observable list.

I've converted this to a SKOS vocabulary (attached).  This makes a lot of sense, as each of these observables is indeed a observational 'concept', much more so than UCDs are.

There's no structure (broader/narrower) in this.

This conversion is done using a script, so it's easy to regenerate from an updated CSV file.

The UCDs and units associated with the concepts are declared in properties like http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/x-annotation#ucd and ...#units.  Problems with that are (a) these aren't really annotations, in the sense that they're about the underlying concept rather than the SKOS concept, and (b) it would be sensible to harmonise these with the annotations used in the Strasbourg Ontology of Astronomical Object types.  Neither of these is a big deal, but it would be interesting and probably useful to sort these out soonish.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk