[obs-tap]observable quantities in observations and their UCDs

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Jun 23 08:08:23 PDT 2010

Hi Mireille,
Here are a few remarks on your document

difference flux density/ flux density surface brightness ?
Jy/beam is not a valid unit I guess( or is that more a simple "flux" in Jy for
a specific "object": the beam)

Transparency and optical density are for phot plates (the higher the
density, the lower the transparency) It is the value given by
digitized Schmidt surveys images. No UCDs for that?

Equivalent width is actually a very strange "flux" unit not a velocity one...
(it is an estimate of continuum flux compared to a given spectral line flux)

Rotational and angular velocities are derived quantities should be given
in the "simulation" or "derived" observable section if any !!!

Is it true that we don't want these Simulation data to be described with
Obstap (metallicity, gravitational potential maps ....)

Mireille Louys <mireille.louys at unistra.fr> a écrit :

> Dear DM members,
>
> At the last interop in Victoria, we decided to build
> up a list of observable quantities that are measured in an observation
> and to attach to it a proper Ucd. These will be the observables
> considered for the Obs/Tap specification .
>
> I gathered material from the Polarisation Note and Interferometry note
> by Anita.
> I included items from Francois's observable list.
>
> Please find here a table to start with for this.
>
> Thanks for your inputs, comments and corrections.
>
> Best regards, Mireille

François   Bonnarel           Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de données        11, rue de l'Université
astronomiques de Strasbourg)  F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11     WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25     E-mail: francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr