Photometry in VO Spectrum Model

Pedro Osuna Pedro.Osuna at sciops.esa.int
Mon Oct 23 02:55:40 PDT 2006

Dear all,

it was me who proposed the photometry thing.

It is astronomers who like to do this "strange" things Doug, like liking
to share data in magnitudes rather than real fluxes. I can give you many
examples of those cases (whether "sensible" thing to do or otherwise is
another issue), but just have a look yourself at Vizier using the old
UCD system to guess how many catalogues there are there with photometric
points (for instance, Johnson J):

http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/getUCD/getUCD?
tab=col&words=PHOT_JOHNSON_J

then take one of the Catalogues, and look at the explanation for the
column where the photometry is described, and you shall see how
ambiguous everything is.

You can also have a look at the paper:

Standard Photometric Systems
Annu. Rev. Astron. Astrophys. 2005.43:293-336

to see how varied and ill defined some of those systems are, and why
they have been used mainly for historical reasons.

On the Use Case side, just take a look at 2Mass catalogue for instance:

http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR?-source=II/246

there are many other projects delivering data in magnitudes rather than
real fluxes (that's life).

I will send separately my comments to the solutions proposed by
Jonathan.

Hope this helps to clarify the _why_ of the need to have photometry
better represented in VO.

Cheers,
P.

--
Pedro Osuna Alcalaya

European Space Agency (ESA)
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
Research and Scientific Support Department (RSSD)
Astronomy Science Operations Division (SCI-SD)
e-mail: Pedro.Osuna at esa.int
Tel + 34 91 813 13 14    Fax: +34 91 813 11 72
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
P.O. Box 50727
E-28080 Villafranca del Castillo
MADRID - SPAIN

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.