Spectral DM document update

Gilles DUVERT Gilles.Duvert at obs.ujf-grenoble.fr
Tue Oct 10 06:36:32 PDT 2006

Hi Doug,

I was online yesterday and saw the discussion rage, but since you said
"None of this may matter in the end as most people will probably use
VOTable and FITS for spectra", i refrained to comment that a
single-point spectrum is not a spectrum at all.. :-) .

After all, I told myself, all that matters is what the API will show, or
the serialization contain, and personnally I will want to see and use an
array, since everything that you can do wth a spectrum is done
vectorially (calibration, fourier analysis, model fit, etc...).

Now, since I perceived an uneasiness with the current Point-model, I
looked into it  more closely, with my "vector" model in mind. I feel
that, to reconstruct an array from the Point-model, one needs either to
have the Sampling object in the Spectrum model, or at the very least,
have Accuracy.BinSize and/or Accuracy.BinLow, Accuracy.BinHigh
*mandatory* instead of OPT, since how are we going to reconstruct an
useable spectrum from points if this (poor) information is not here?
And this is only the first example that comes to mind, there may be others .

So, I guess I support entirely your concern. By destroying the natural
bonding of spectra elements as members of a vector (*), this leaves too
much unknowns for the future implementations. I would say that since 1)
the known and working serializations ARE "array-dominated" and 2) the
Point-model leaves too much to be done manually before retrieving a good
spectrum, then just leave the point model and switch to an array based
model.

There was a comment about parsers and code binders that are unable today
to read arrays. I hope this is only temporary, and, anyway, I do not see
why a DataModel could be polluted by such indirect requirements.
Besides, either you place the "hard work" on the parser, or on the
users. Since the parser is of order unity, and the users many, the
choice is done.

As usual, sorry in advance for the rudeness of my comments (hopefully
due to bad english courses), and congrats to all the people involved in
the writing of the SDM document.

Best

Gilles
(*) how in the model do you know that two Points follow each other in
the resulting spectrum? By the order of arrival of the <Point> tag in
the <Data> ? Is this really "safe"?