Spectral DM document update

Pedro Osuna Pedro.Osuna at sciops.esa.int
Tue Oct 10 05:42:25 PDT 2006

Dear all,

in our (ESA-VO collective) view, a Data Model should be an abstract
description. No implementation (or serialisation(s)) issue should
dictate the direction of a model. On the other hand, not Data Model
should impose "how to serialise it to be useful".

>From the point of view of application writers, we don't care whether the
data come in vector or in points. It will take us more or less effort to
parse them, but will write a parser once and re-use it where adequate.

The point is not whether it makes sense to parse points or not, or
whether 'standard' parsers can do certain things and not others.

We believe the point is that, in this particular case, a 1D Spectrum
(e.g., with hundred thousand points) ought not be described in the same
way (model) as an individual isolated photometric point. In fact, in our
view a Photometric point should be modelled with a different Data Model,
containing: the magnitude value, the reference zero point and flux, and
eventually any transmission function that might play any role in an
eventual -inverse- integration to get the flux (plus whichever other
relevant bits).

Therefore, we advocate for Data Models which do not depend on their
implementation and are not driven by it. If Photometry has to be treated
differently from a 1D-Spectrum, then create a specific model for it.

Since someone asked, our 2cents.

Cheers,
P.

--
Pedro Osuna Alcalaya

European Space Agency (ESA)
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
Research and Scientific Support Department (RSSD)
Astronomy Science Operations Division (SCI-SD)
e-mail: Pedro.Osuna at esa.int
Tel + 34 91 813 13 14    Fax: +34 91 813 11 72