Expressing 2- and 3-D coordinates

Ed Shaya Edward.J.Shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 15 07:45:01 PST 2005

When coming up with standard interfaces one needs to have a set of goals
and requirements which flow from the application or system that you wish
to create.  So, we have been working several years on the issues related
to archival ingest, registry, retrieval, and query.  This does not mean
that we have solved the problems for all project in the field of
astronomy.  The document structure for publishing or archiving data for
posterity is probably not suitable for a project with the goal of having
Institution A  alert Institution B that it saw something.  If we try to
stretch our standards to accomodate requirements that are outside of the
initial goals and requirements we compromise those goals.  We could
provide separate document standards (or models) for this special case,
but then the burden on the VO to support all special projects in the
field of astronomy is just too too great.

It is clear from the trouble we are having making STC aceptable to all
parties that we are dealing with cross-purposes and changing
requirements.  Specifically, the goals and requirements that I have
heard from Roy's descriptions of VOEvent sit well outside the VO goals
of providing an electronic observatory where science researchers can
easily gain access to full astronomical data.   For example a
requirement that one should be able to send just an RA,DEC pair to
describe a skycoodinate, is totally at odds with the goals of archival
science.  And, allowing it in our standards would be highly detrimental
to future generations of astronomers.

However, none of this need be considered a problem at all.  It is just
an issue of understanding when and why to relax standards.  The how is
simple.  The VO should provide a fairly exacting set of scientific
standards.  Projects  are free to  create copies  of the schema and
knock out  parts and change required  elements to  optional  ones.  The
documents point to  the  relevant schemas, so they are valid within the
more liberal schema.  In most cases, applications will be oblivious to
the missing parts or simply won't do what can't be done without the
missing parts.  The question is who is the creator and maintainer of the
more liberal schema?   I don't think the VO has the manpower to take
care of these nor should they.  Perhaps, the VO has some responsibility
to design our standards in such a way that others can knock out parts
and still have something usefull.

Ed