Expressing 2- and 3-D coordinates

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Dec 15 09:50:42 PST 2005

I was hoping to ignore this conversation, oh well.

I question the assertion that there has been "trouble" with the STC
specification - just the normal back and forth with any standard
format or interface as it faces different stakeholders.  Arnold was
responsive to our needs (basically for general targeting coordinates,
not just RA and Dec) by producing the STCLite schema.  I gather you
guys vetoed STCLite.  Really don't want to have the discussion to
figure out if that is your mandate.  In any event, we (the VOEvent
WG) have revisited the issue and have made one little suggestion - a
suggestion that it appears other folks have previously made.  Would
expect the discussion to continue until a consensus is formed.

It is a VO-wide issue, not specific to VOEvent, to assert a
preference for schemata that are widely supported by parsers in the
field.

Question whether "archival ingest, registry, retrieval, and query"
cover all the bases of the VO.  Strongly agree with Alasdair that
VOEvent will be an important facility of the VO as well as of the
broader astronomical community - it's more than just "having
Institution A alert Institution B that it saw something".  Question
the wisdom of freezing the scope of the VO before the VO acquires a
user base.  Didn't think "virtual" was intended to apply to its user
community.

> The VO should provide a fairly exacting set of scientific
> standards.  Projects  are free to  create copies  of the schema
> and  knock out  parts and change required  elements to  optional
> ones.

Suspect I'm not the only one to question the wisdom of this point of
view.  Is this free-for-all really preferable to having just two
standard choices of STC and a simplified STCLite?  For an important
facility such as STC, it is quite reasonable to expect multiple
stakeholders such as VOEvent to influence the development of a common
standard.  Suggest this would be simplified in the future were a
User's Guide to STC available.

Rob
seaman at noao.edu