Error in the WD-STC-S-1.0-20130918 document?

Francois-Xavier PINEAU francois-xavier.pineau at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Nov 30 17:55:00 CET 2023

Hi Markus,

Thank you very much or your answer.

I was not aware of your parser:
* what do you mean by 'halfway complete'?
* what about using it in astropy regions
(https://github.com/astropy/regions/issues/21) ?

 > Do you have a strong reason to do that? Several users have been
asking for MOC creation from a STC-S string, and we have been thinking
to add this features to MOC Lib Rust (and hence, to MOCPy). And: 1 - I
was not aware of the subset (for geometries) defined in the TAP document
(again, thank you); 2 - STC-S could be used as an input to create
ST-MOCs, F-MOCs, ... in addition to S-MOCs.

There are others possibilities (STC-S based queries in QAT2S, more
general STC-S parser in Aladin Lite, ...).

 > The operationally (still) relevant subset for specifying geometries
is in section 6 of TAP 1.0
Grrr... I see that:
* the 'frame' is mandatory in the STC-S document and optional in TAP,
* the vocabulary is not exactly the same:
     CART[123] vs CARTESION[123]
     SPHER2 vs SPHERICAL2
     It 's easy to support both inputs, but an option is needed in
output (to choose between the STC note and the TAP standard).

FWIW, I just published a first version of the Rust STC-S parser:
https://github.com/cds-astro/cds-stc-rust
For non-Rust users the main interest so far may be to transform STC-S
string into JSON, back and forth.

 > Let's move that WD to the "Obsolete IVOA documents" Since it has been
asked by users, it seems that STC-S is used, right? Do Coords and Meas
offer an ASCII-Stringserialization? (Laurent?) (Maybe I am old school,
but I kind of like ASCII-String serializations)

fx