SODA erratum 3 proposal

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Feb 14 10:36:25 CET 2023

Hi Pat,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 10:35:27AM -0800, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> I feel like the change in wording in WD-VOTable means that DALI (where
> xtype="interval" is defined) could (could have) defined min/max behaviour
> to be more like that pointed out by Adrian in the PyVO context. That is:
> use a 2D array value for MAX to specify the minimum bounding interval.

But why would want to introduce magic behaviour (over the standard
array interpretation) when we don't absolutely need to (which
arguably is the case when we do geometries as we ended up doing
them)?

> So in my opinion MIN/MAX scalars like we already have, a MAX array (bounds)
> would work, WD-VOTable defers to the xtype-definition but seems to allow
> both (in principle), and DALI needs to be clarified.

True -- but I'd generally argue the fewer special rules the better.
Call it Occam's Editor :-)

         -- Markus