SODA erratum 3 proposal

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 19:35:27 CET 2023

I think the example in 4.2 (and the one in appendix A) are still consistent
with the decision we made and the relevant change is to define how to do
min/max for intervals (in DALI). Maybe that's an erratum on DALI, or just a
clarification in the current WD...

I feel like the change in wording in WD-VOTable means that DALI (where
xtype="interval" is defined) could (could have) defined min/max behaviour
to be more like that pointed out by Adrian in the PyVO context. That is:
use a 2D array value for MAX to specify the minimum bounding interval.

In general, when using an nD array (n matching xtype expectations) only the
MAX is really useful because the "minimum" is inside the maximum. The only
bit of info not conveyed there is the "minimum useful size of a cutout",
which in a basic non-complex extraction is the size of 1 pixel. That's true
for all axes  (see below).

So in my opinion MIN/MAX scalars like we already have, a MAX array (bounds)
would work, WD-VOTable defers to the xtype-definition but seems to allow
both (in principle), and DALI needs to be clarified.

my 2c,

below: yeah, a more sophisticated cutout implementation could do some
sub-pixel magic to figure out a fraction of signal to keep in the output
data, but I don't think we're talking about that level of detail
Victoria, BC, Canada