SODA erratum 3 proposal

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 11:00:41 CET 2023

On Tue, 14 Feb 2023, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> Hi Pat,
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 10:35:27AM -0800, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> > I feel like the change in wording in WD-VOTable means that DALI (where
> > xtype="interval" is defined) could (could have) defined min/max behaviour
> > to be more like that pointed out by Adrian in the PyVO context. That is:
> > use a 2D array value for MAX to specify the minimum bounding interval.
>
> But why would want to introduce magic behaviour (over the standard
> array interpretation) when we don't absolutely need to (which
> arguably is the case when we do geometries as we ended up doing
> them)?
>
> > So in my opinion MIN/MAX scalars like we already have, a MAX array (bounds)
> > would work, WD-VOTable defers to the xtype-definition but seems to allow
> > both (in principle), and DALI needs to be clarified.
>
> True -- but I'd generally argue the fewer special rules the better.
> Call it Occam's Editor :-)

I agree, with what (I think) Markus is saying, and also what James
said earlier: scalar MIN and MAX values applying to both elements
of the interval seem like the least surprising semantics for those
values to me.

--
Mark Taylor  Astronomical Programmer  Physics, Bristol University, UK
m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk          http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/