Reflections on SIA V2 and generic cutout services

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 2 23:01:30 CET 2016

Now that SIA V2 has been approved I've been contemplating how if and how
I might implement it for access to the SkyView services managed at the
HEASARC.  I'm sharing some ideas with the DAL group since I think some
of these thoughts may have more general relevance.

I  expect the ability to select SkyView surveys based upon coverage,
bandpass and resolution should be very helpful.  However there are two
aspects that may be somewhat problematic.

1. SkyView is a cutout and mosaicking service.  So in terms of
retrieving an image SkyView needs  two kinds of inputs: those that
select the survey or surveys we are interested in (e.g., bandpass and
resolution) and the WCS parameters that define the region to be
generated.  Even in SIA v1 it was unclear how to convey this
information, but since the standard required a position/size input it
was pretty straightforward to implement a 'reasonable' approach. SIA V2
is far more flexible.  It not only doesn't require a positional
constraint at all, it allows users to define regions that are a union of
a variety of shapes.  There seem to be three options here for going forward:
   a. Use the inputs to the SIA V2 service purely for survey selection
and return no actual pointers to data.  Instead return datalink requests
where the user will be prompted for the actual bounds of the images
desired for a survey which meets the requirement.  I.e., the positional
inputs would be used only to define a region in which the survey is to
have some coverage, but the user would later have to input the exact
bounds for the subset to be created.
   I'm not clear if datalink can be used this way: to get additional
data from the user.  Even if it can, it seems clumsy and makes the V2
interface take an extra step compared to v1.

  b. Use the positional constraint (all-sky if not specified) in both
the coverage request and the specification of the image to be created.
This is essentially what we do in v1, but we need to understand what to
do with multiple POS fields, and with POS fields that aren't easily
transformed to a rectangle on the sky.  We can treat each POS field as a
separate request, or we can contemplate the region defined by their union.

  c. Use either fixed values for the WCS parameters, or pass them using
non-standard parameters in the SIA call.  We did some of this in the SIA
v1 version where users could override defaults like the resampling
method and map projection this way.  However if the user needs to
specify critical features like the image center and field of view of the
image this way, then they are often going to be duplicating information,
and they won't be able to use the SkyView SIA normally.

Option b seems best, but it requires some more or less arbitrary
decisions.  My initial thought is to treat each POS field separately
(perhaps with a non-standard parameter to request the union).  The field
of view would be the smallest rectangle that encloses the requested
region.  This isn't perfect but I think it will meet most users needs.
Since there are many cutout services out there, some general guidance on
how such services should provide SIA2 access would be helpful.

2,  The second issue has to do with a general problem that we have in
what might be called 'container' services that host a number of distinct
datasets.  IRSA's and the HEASARC's TAP services which host tables from
dozens of missions are other examples.  SkyView hosts ~100 different
survey datasets.  Suppose we have a SIA2 survey that supports all of
them -- that certainly seems like the right way to go to harness the
power of the SIA selection parameters.  Where does the survey metadata
go?  We want to have nice descriptions of the surveys and the copyrights
and the appropriate references and all of that good stuff.  We don't
seem to have a place for it in the registry anymore.  So a user
searching the registry for a given survey might not find it even though
it's fully available through SkyView.    In the case of the TAP
services, Markus has defined a way were whereby we can annotate separate
table entries in the registry and note that they are served by the TAP
service, but I don't know how I'd do that for the image survey data sets
we have in SkyView since I don't think there is an image counter part to
a general TabularSkyService.  Maybe there is and if so someone like
Markus may need to define the appropriate structure for a resource which
does not itself provide VO image services but does represent an image
capability that is referenced by some other VO service.

This issue did not arise in SIA V1.  There it's just as easy to register
a separate SIA capability for each survey so that's what I did.  The
ability to search by bandpass and such did not exist. While I could
still do that in V2, it really seems like that's not the right way to go.

     Tom

For the nonce this isn't a big issue but