Reflections on SIA V2 and generic cutout services

Walter Landry wlandry at caltech.edu
Thu Mar 3 21:39:24 CET 2016

"Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1)" <tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov> wrote:
> 1. SkyView is a cutout and mosaicking service.  So in terms of
> retrieving an image SkyView needs two kinds of inputs: those that
> select the survey or surveys we are interested in (e.g., bandpass and
> resolution) and the WCS parameters that define the region to be
> generated.

I had the same problem with our Planck image generation service.  SIA2
is really not set up for this.  SIA2 is much better for retrieving
links to existing images.  For example, your mosaicing service might
have a multitude of options on how exactly to stitch images together.
The best conceptual match I could find was something like SimDAL,
which allows for this sort of extensive computation in order to
generate an artifact for the end-user.  With that said, I have not
actually implemented anything like SimDAL for our service.

Cheers,
Walter Landry