TAP: trailing INFO element usage

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 19:29:06 CEST 2016

DALI 1.0 sec 4.4 specifies possible @values for an @name=QUERY_STATUS
INFO element:

   sec 4.4:
      pre-TABLE: OK/ERROR/OVERFLOW
   sec 4.4.1:
      post-TABLE: OVERFLOW
   sec 4.4.2:
      post-TABLE: ERROR

It does not explicitly outlaw a post-TABLE QUERY_STATUS
INFO with the value OK.  Or the value "NOT_BAD".  Or the
value "OVERFLAW".  But it doesn't say how to interpret
those things, so taplint issues a WARNING (not an ERROR)
if a post-TABLE QUERY_STATUS element is found with a value
not explicitly mentioned in the standard.

If DALI 1.1 explicitly endorses an OK post-TABLE value, I'll remove
that warning.  Since, as you say, it doesn't add anything, I don't
really think that would be an improvement, and in that case there
should really be explicit text explaining what it means to have, e.g.

   <INFO name="QUERY_STATUS" value="ERROR"/>
   <TABLE> ..</TABLE>
   <INFO name="QUERY_STATUS" value="OK"/>

etc, or it should explicitly forbid such usages.  My feeling
is it would be clearer to state that QUERY_STATUS must only be
used with the values and meanings explicitly mentioned
(OK/ERROR/OVERFLOW pre-TABLE, or ERROR/OVERFLOW post-table).

Mark