WD-DALI-1.1-20160415

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:38:59 CEST 2016

Relaxing the restriction on VOSI-tables allows one to have both
anonymous and authenticated resources. We have some case where project
catalogues are served via tap but only visible to authorised users;
only the tables the user is allowed to query show up in the
VOSI-tables or tap_schema output (how: my problem :-). This is just to
allow the freedom to do that.

I hope the language is clear but maybe it isn't. In TAP-1.1 the
language is more specific: the intent is that if you have anonymous
access then the fixed /tables is used for the anonymous VOSI-tables
and you may have other (sibling) VOSI-tables resources. It looked
wrong for DALI to prescribe the name for an optional resource when I
tried to write it there.

Pat

On 15 April 2016 at 00:25, Markus Demleitner
<msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> Dear DAL,
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:58:49AM -0700, Patrick Dowler wrote:
>> I have just committed rev 3302
>>
>> Diff from previous:
>> https://volute.g-vo.org/viewvc/volute/trunk/projects/dal/DALI/DALI.tex?r1=3251&r2=3302
>>
> [...]
>> * Removed restriction on the resource name of VOSI-tables.
>
> Hm -- I'm not sure I'm a big fan of this.  In general, I like fixed
> URL (or name, in general) schemes because they save discovery
> requests and make client implementation easier overall.  For
> availability, loosening the URL scheme has a clear purpose that
> trumps that consideration, so I agree that's a good move.
>
> But how would changing the name of the table metadata endpoint help?
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Markus

Victoria, BC, Canada