WD-DALI-1.1-20160415

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Apr 18 10:24:38 CEST 2016

Hi Pat,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 08:38:59AM -0700, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> Relaxing the restriction on VOSI-tables allows one to have both
> anonymous and authenticated resources. We have some case where project
> catalogues are served via tap but only visible to authorised users;
> only the tables the user is allowed to query show up in the
> VOSI-tables or tap_schema output (how: my problem :-). This is just to
> allow the freedom to do that.

So, what you're proposing is essentially something like

  <capability standardID="ivo://ivoa.net/std/VOSI#tables">
    <interface xsi:type="vs:ParamHTTP">
      <accessURL use="full">.../tap/run/tables</accessURL>
    </interface>
    <interface xsi:type="vs:ParamHTTP">
      <accessURL use="full">.../tap/run/tables-auth</accessURL>
      <securityMethod standardID="ivo://example.com/auth#divination"/>
    </interface>
  </capability>

I see how this could work.  I suspect it would help to have such an
example somewhere in the standard to explain the intention.

Ah well, I guess in the long run TAP clients won't be able to ignore
cabiblities once they want to run a query, so perhaps requiring them
to parse it to figure out where to pull table metadata from doesn't
really hurt.

Cheers,

       Markus