TAP 1.1, MAXREC and TOP

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Fri Sep 4 11:31:55 CEST 2015

Hi,

>:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 09:14:25AM +0200, Marco Molinaro wrote:
> > Also the two of them live on different levels of negotiation and enquiry
> > the service.
> >
> > This can be read from:
> > - §2.3.7 for TAP-1.0
> > - DALI-1.0 §3.2.4 for TAP-1.1
>
> Hm -- I'd like to have some explicit language on MAXREC and TOP.  Ok,
> maybe I'm stupid, and I'm certainly not terribly good in reading
> standards, but the (intended) interplay between MAXREC and TOP wasn't
> clear to me, and I don't think it's self-evident that TOP doesn't
> trigger the overflow warning.  So:

It was not about being stupid or not reading a spec.
It was: there's some text that tries to explain more
or less what we discussed, but probably not enough.

> > Should we add some more explicit wording to help both server
> > and client side implementations understand this?
> > (Markus already proposed a "clobber" addition)
> > If so, I think this is an "errata/feature" for DALI more than a TAP one,
> > but I'm not absolute on this.
>
> As DALI is even more remove from ADQL than TAP is and this is really
> a thing between ADQL and TAP, I'm all for putting something into TAP
> (it could go into ADQL, too, but TAP already refers to ADQL, but ADQL
> doesn't really refer to TAP).

I would not put it in ADQL, I feel it's more a general case whatever the
query
language accepted by TAP (as far as a TOP-thing exists in it).
So, probably, yes, it should go in TAP.

Marco