TAP 1.1, MAXREC and TOP

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Sep 4 11:10:33 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 09:14:25AM +0200, Marco Molinaro wrote:
> Also the two of them live on different levels of negotiation and enquiry to
> the service.
>
> This can be read from:
> - §2.3.7 for TAP-1.0
> - DALI-1.0 §3.2.4 for TAP-1.1

Hm -- I'd like to have some explicit language on MAXREC and TOP.  Ok,
maybe I'm stupid, and I'm certainly not terribly good in reading
standards, but the (intended) interplay between MAXREC and TOP wasn't
clear to me, and I don't think it's self-evident that TOP doesn't
trigger the overflow warning.  So:

> Should we add some more explicit wording to help both server
> and client side implementations understand this?
> (Markus already proposed a "clobber" addition)
> If so, I think this is an "errata/feature" for DALI more than a TAP one,
> but I'm not absolute on this.

As DALI is even more remove from ADQL than TAP is and this is really
a thing between ADQL and TAP, I'm all for putting something into TAP
(it could go into ADQL, too, but TAP already refers to ADQL, but ADQL
doesn't really refer to TAP).

Cheers,

         Markus