TAP 1.1, MAXREC and TOP

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Thu Sep 3 09:14:25 CEST 2015

Hi DAL,
at this point we may try to summarize a little to answer Markus' point

> I believe we should use the opportunity of TAP 1.1. to clarify the
> interaction of TAP's MAXREC and ADQL's TOP.

It seems to me the group wants to stay with what current standards already
state:
TOP cannot override MAXREC.
Also the two of them live on different levels of negotiation and enquiry to
the service.

This can be read from:
- §2.3.7 for TAP-1.0
- DALI-1.0 §3.2.4 for TAP-1.1

Then an help comes from TAPRegExt-1.0 §2.6 section "Limits on Data"
where the definitions for default and hard limits for tr:DataLimits is set
with respect to the unit="row" attribute.

This more or less brings the scenario to what Gregory and Mark addressed
on the help a client application can give to the user (i.e. negotiating the
MAXREC wrt TOP while preparing the service query call).

It's also what I more or less suggested using "soft" instead of "default"
(sorry if I misused terms for the elements I had in mind).

May the question now be:
Should we add some more explicit wording to help both server
and client side implementations understand this?
(Markus already proposed a "clobber" addition)
If so, I think this is an "errata/feature" for DALI more than a TAP one,
but I'm not absolute on this.

Cheers,
     Marco