TAP 1.1, MAXREC and TOP

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Sep 2 17:05:46 CEST 2015

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015, Gregory Mantelet wrote:

>     Mark, would it be otherwise possible in TOPCAT (and eventually STILTS' TAP
> client), to automatically update the MAXREC parameter to the TOP value if TOP
> > soft_limit? And in case TOP > hard_limit, set MAXREC to hard_limit?
>
>     This would be a convenient solution in advanced TAP client such as TOPCAT,
> because it would be more natural to the users who, most of the time, do not
> know what is MAXREC for in the contrary of TOP.

Interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that.

I currently don't do anything with the results of the ADQL parsing
except for hightlighting syntax, but I don't see any reason that
I shouldn't.  From a quick look at the parser API, it looks like it's
as simple as using the hasLimit/getLimit methods on the result
of ADQLQuery.getSelect() - is that right?

(incidentally - I see that getLimit returns int, maybe one day
someone will wish that was a long?)

Mark