LINK VOTable element for DATALINK

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Feb 18 10:44:34 PST 2014

(appendix section numbers from VOTable-1.3 doc)

I woud like to add to this that the appendix of VOTable contains all
kinds of interesting twists and ideas. The proposed structure for a
<RESOURCE type="service"> we are discussing actually combines the ideas
in A.2 (VOTable query: uses FIELD to describe query params of a URL) and
A.4 (uses child LINK to indicate that the value for a FIELD comes from
someplace else...

 > *So my question: is this third emerging extension of LINK usage not
 > clash with the two previous usages.*
 > For instance, until now, the "value" attribute can be used for
 > alternative link text. And in this third usage, the "value" attribute
 > is used as a kind of "ref" attribute.

(note: as per previous messages, value was mistakenly used when it
should have been href).

In the PARAM-LINK proposal, we use a PARAM to describe a service input
parameter and a child LINK to say that the value comes from someplace
else. In this case, the href is restricted to a fragment so it is always
someplace else in the same document. So no: I don't see this as clashing
with those possible uses.

In A.2 specifically, I am interested to hear why FIELD was chosen over
PARAM to describe essentially a service API? Is it just because PARAM
was originally designed as a constant value? and requires the value
attribute? It seems that conventions for using PARAM and the general
understanding of the term have gone the other way...

If we really want to use PARAM-LINK instead of FIELD-LINK, what should
we do about the required value attribute?

VOTable-1.3 section 3.5 does say that other standards can/should define
values for content-role (otherwise doc-like may be assumed). So it looks
like DataLink should in fact define a content-role for these LINKs since
they are relative URIs to something not doc-like.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)