WD-DataLink-1.0

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Nov 14 07:18:56 PST 2013

Hello,

We must keep in mind that Datalink is a protocol enable to operate any remote service whether using VO protocols or not.
For this reason, I believe that the project of achieving a  dictionary of links serving all astrophysical fields is destined to
fail. There will always be some peculiar cases carrying concepts which are not in that dictionary. Indeed, the ability of a
client to do appropriate processing strongly depends on this vocabulary.
To sort out this contradiction we are supporting the idea of using some hierarchical construction for this vocabulary where a
path element refines its predecessor. With this concept, the first element (mandatory) would have to match the list set in 4.6.

PROPOSAL
========
Our first idea was to use the same construction as for UCDs, but another alternative, avoiding any confusion with UCDs, could be
to use the grammar of the Mime type parameters (A nice example is given in 3.1)

Example: The calibration bias would be expressed as "calibration;content=bias" where "content=bias" remains optional.
The basic concept "calibration" would be enough for most of the clients (another similitude with Mime types)

Using this mechanism would allow to go ahead with the V1 of the protocol. The possible values of the content field would remain
open or just restricted by list of reserved words.

Bye
LM

--

---- Laurent MICHEL              Tel  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 37
      Observatoire de Strasbourg  Fax  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 32
      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
      67000 Strasbourg (France)   Web  http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~michel
---