How to consume TAP and SIAP for lightcurve survey ?

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 08:16:38 PST 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> That still leaves open the need for nice and efficient desktop
> applications for both cubes and lightcurves, of course.  Is anyone
> actively working on anything VO-enabled in these areas?

GAIA and ds9 both handle cubes as well as 2d images, and both talk SAMP.
So one approach would be for a third party SAMP-aware ObsTAP client to
communicate with either or both of these to provide VO-friendly cube
visualisation/analysis.  This idea doesn't quite fly at the moment, since
there is not currently a SAMP MType for passing around FITS cubes;
image.load.fits is specifically for 2d images.  The required actions
to get this working would be:

   - somebody (anybody) to write up a cube.load.fits (?) MType at
     http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/SampMTypes

   - GAIA and ds9 authors to implement that MType - I'd expect it to be
     pretty easy given that both tools already understand image.load.fits
     and can load cubes

Don't know much about light curves though.  There is a moribund
tool in starjava called FROG for timeseries data.

Mark