How to consume TAP and SIAP for lightcurve survey ?

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jan 18 07:08:47 PST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 05:50:32PM +0100, Petr Skoda wrote:
> I cannot find anything that would realize the idea of querying all
> servers using obscore to make discovery as described in the
> motivation of introducing the ObsTAP.
That is, indeed, a major sore spot.  IMHO the main reason why an
all-VO obscore search has not been implemented so far is that our
registry infrastructure is, well, in fairly bad shape; also, the
adoption of TAPRegExt (which defines how ObsCore support is declared)
by operators could be better.

Now, with the new RegTAP, you can at least fairly easily figure out
what ObsCore servers are out there (and registred) -- basically, you
send a query

SELECT access_url
FROM rr.interface
NATURAL JOIN rr.capability
NATURAL JOIN rr.res_detail
WHERE standard_id='ivo://ivoa.net/std/tap'
  AND detail_utype='vor:capability.datamodel.ivoid'
  AND detail_value='ivo://ivoa.net/std/obscore-1.0'

to a TAP service implementing the data model
ivo://ivoa.net/std/regtap/vor (of which currently only
http://dc.g-vo.org/tap is in the registry, but at least one more will
appear as soon as we sort out DNS troubles in Potsdam).

With this, I'd hope some TAP clients will adopt "Send-to-all-Obscore"
soon; I personally think Michel Laurent's TAPHandle would be
particularly well suited.  With STILTS' TAP library, adding some
obscore querying to SPLAT would, I guess, not be too hard, either.

[Vow: If nothing else pans out, I'll have all-obscore support in
tapsh by the Heidelberg interop]

That still leaves open the need for nice and efficient desktop
applications for both cubes and lightcurves, of course.  Is anyone
actively working on anything VO-enabled in these areas?

Cheers,

         Markus