How to consume TAP and SIAP for lightcurve survey ?

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 17 09:13:53 PST 2013

Hi Petr -

You have an awful lot of questions here and it is not clear why you ask
about TAP/ObsTAP in a query about light curves, since there is little
connection (except maybe for a catalog of variable objects with
associated light curves which might be simple array objects in a table).
As you know the ultimate solution for time series data in the IVOA is
still under consideration, and in the meanwhile we are merely exploring
alternatives.

You also ask about SIAPV2 and photometry.  The thinking, as discussed in
Sao Paulo, is to base the Image DM on SDM (the new Spectral DM), which
is mostly just generic Observation / Characterization etc. metadata
which should be common to all the DAL interfaces.  SDM includes the
necessary parts of the PhotDM to be able to describe photometric bands,
hence this would work to describe the photometric band observed by an
image.  Likewise SDM will include the essentials to describe photometric
bands in time series.  SDM is designed to support time series as well as
spectra and SEDs so would be logical to use as the core model.  With a
little more work we should have enough defined to do some prototyping to
put up time series data from a few real collections, and we will see how
well it works with real data and real users.  If you need to do
something with your students soon you should probably just find a
temporary solution focusing on the science, while this sorts itself out.

 	- Doug