TAP, ADQL and PgSphere

Alberto Micol alberto.micol at eso.org
Fri Oct 23 08:54:44 PDT 2009

Gretchen Greene wrote:
> I've been following from a distance on the mailing list.
>
> My question is that you are discussing design of a reference
> implementation with a single specific open source solution.
> While this is widely adopted and 'a' viable one,  I'm not sure
> that it is advantageous to moving forward a universal standard
> when we currently do not have clear region handling.
>
> While TAP is NOT standard,  we keep moving forward into all
> possible areas of implementation,  without clearly settling
> out interfaces.
>
> I would like to clearly see a presentation how the DAL
> protocols will address the region capabilities in a standard
> and CONSISTENT mechanism, e.g. how VOSI/Registry interfaces
> factor into the integration of TAP queries, SIA v2, ...  with
> service capability.
>
> I advocate prototyping,  i'm concerned to see small groups
> adopting specific software solutions to drive convenient
> standards evolution.  I've caught wind of peripheral
> discussions for observation data model TAP work,  but it seems
> to be going on in behind the scenes efforts and not clear to
> me how TAP, Datamodels, Registry, and VOSI are working
> together.
>
> -Gretchen

Hi Gretchen,

I keep advocating that we need an IVOA Architect to overlook at all
aspects of the VO
and of the various VO components (including things like: design,
integration, sustainability,
maintainability, data providers' takeup, balance between standardisation
and flexibility, etc).

After your email I think I could now even propose a candidate for such
(imaginative) position/role;
you seem perfectly suited for such job: smart and concrete!

Less imaginatively:
Yes, you are completely right and I fully subscribe what you said.

On the other hand, not as a VO person but as a data provider, I badly need
some help in getting the entire TAP machinery built and configure in my data
centre, and this Pgsphere/ADQL reference implementation might come as
a fantastic gift from the IVOA to the Data Providers.
Perfect from a takeup point of view!

So, while I invite everyone, as you did, to make things consistent,
standard, pragmatic,
workable, thorough, inter and intra-operable, I gladly and warmly
welcome such
data-provider-friendly initiative.

Ciao,
Alberto