TAP, ADQL and PgSphere

Gretchen Greene greene at stsci.edu
Fri Oct 23 06:50:10 PDT 2009

I've been following from a distance on the mailing list.

My question is that you are discussing design of a reference
implementation with a single specific open source solution.
While this is widely adopted and 'a' viable one,  I'm not sure
that it is advantageous to moving forward a universal standard
when we currently do not have clear region handling.

While TAP is NOT standard,  we keep moving forward into all
possible areas of implementation,  without clearly settling
out interfaces.

I would like to clearly see a presentation how the DAL
protocols will address the region capabilities in a standard
and CONSISTENT mechanism, e.g. how VOSI/Registry interfaces
factor into the integration of TAP queries, SIA v2, ...  with
service capability.

I advocate prototyping,  i'm concerned to see small groups
adopting specific software solutions to drive convenient
standards evolution.  I've caught wind of peripheral
discussions for observation data model TAP work,  but it seems
to be going on in behind the scenes efforts and not clear to
me how TAP, Datamodels, Registry, and VOSI are working
together.

-Gretchen