TAP, ADQL and PgSphere

lesidaner-obs pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr
Fri Oct 23 09:49:39 PDT 2009

Hi

If PGSPHERE is a good program for image, for large catalog using
Postgres, there is Q3C
It's a quad tree organization in postgres, we surely can find some body
to talk about it, I have slides on it from Ivan Zolotukhin that will be
present at interop.

See you in Garchen
Pierre

Alberto Micol a écrit :
> Gretchen Greene wrote:
>> I've been following from a distance on the mailing list.
>>
>> My question is that you are discussing design of a reference
>> implementation with a single specific open source solution.  While
>> this is widely adopted and 'a' viable one,  I'm not sure that it is
>> advantageous to moving forward a universal standard when we currently
>> do not have clear region handling.
>>
>> While TAP is NOT standard,  we keep moving forward into all possible
>> areas of implementation,  without clearly settling out interfaces.
>>
>> I would like to clearly see a presentation how the DAL protocols will
>> address the region capabilities in a standard and CONSISTENT
>> mechanism, e.g. how VOSI/Registry interfaces factor into the
>> integration of TAP queries, SIA v2, ...  with service capability.
>>
>> I advocate prototyping,  i'm concerned to see small groups adopting
>> specific software solutions to drive convenient standards evolution.
>> I've caught wind of peripheral discussions for observation data model
>> TAP work,  but it seems to be going on in behind the scenes efforts
>> and not clear to me how TAP, Datamodels, Registry, and VOSI are
>> working together.
>>
>> -Gretchen
>>

> Hi Gretchen,
>
> I keep advocating that we need an IVOA Architect to overlook at all
> aspects of the VO
> and of the various VO components (including things like: design,
> integration, sustainability,
> maintainability, data providers' takeup, balance between
> standardisation and flexibility, etc).
>
> After your email I think I could now even propose a candidate for such
> (imaginative) position/role;
> you seem perfectly suited for such job: smart and concrete!
>
> Less imaginatively:
> Yes, you are completely right and I fully subscribe what you said.
>
> On the other hand, not as a VO person but as a data provider, I badly
> need
> some help in getting the entire TAP machinery built and configure in
> my data
> centre, and this Pgsphere/ADQL reference implementation might come as
> a fantastic gift from the IVOA to the Data Providers.
> Perfect from a takeup point of view!
>
> So, while I invite everyone, as you did, to make things consistent,
> standard, pragmatic,
> workable, thorough, inter and intra-operable, I gladly and warmly
> welcome such
> data-provider-friendly initiative.
>
> Ciao,
> Alberto

                           Pierre Le Sidaner
             Observatoire de Paris-Meudon-Nancay

Service Informatique de l'Observatoire 01 45 07 76 34
5, place Jules Janssen 92195 Meudon
Observatoire Virtuel 01 40 51 20 89
61, avenue de l'Observatoire 75014 Paris

mail:pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr

vo.obspm.fr