[TAP] 0.5 draft

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu May 21 10:41:22 PDT 2009

On Thursday 21 May 2009 09:43:59 you wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 2009, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> > I have posted TAP 0.5 to the wiki. This is the last draft before the
> > meeting in Strasbourg.
>
> Pat,
>
> just a couple of minor items:
>
> Sec 2.7.1 (MIME types):
>    The CSV format is described in RFC 4180, not 4108 (is transposing
>    the last two digits of an RFC number catching?  or is this revenge?)

just catching on I guess :-)

>    "text/cvs" should read "text/csv"
>
>    "text/csv;header" is wrong; you mean "text/csv;header=present" -
>    see RFC 4180 Sec 3.  You could RECOMMEND that the header part is
>    included with one of the values "present" or "absent", but I wouldn't
>    say that's necessary.
>
>    The discussion of text/tab-separated-values could contain a
>    reference to the IANA registration?
>    (http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/tab-separated-values)

OK, thanks for catching these.

> Sec 2.5:
>    "By default, VOTable allows them to be written as an array of decimal
>      numbers, e.g. 12 56 0 255 0 255 (one number per byte value)".
>     Sounds a bit muddled - what does "By default" mean here?
>     This comment only applies to TABLEDATA-format VOTables, but since
>     you've required TABLEDATA I guess that's OK (though see below).
>     I'd be inclined to just remove this sentence and reference the
>     VOTable standard, but keep it if you'd rather.
>
>     "... the service must accept tables in VOTable format, using a
>      TABLEDATA element for content."
>     Can I ask what the motivation for this new requirement is?
>     I'm not necessarily saying I disagree with it.  (But I might).

My impression is that this was understood by some people (inc. me) to be the
case and when Francois asked about it I decided it was better to be explicit
so that people could see/accept it or object to the restriction. I will put it
on the list of things to discuss/decide in Strasbourg.

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7