[TAP] 0.5 draft

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Tue May 26 00:21:34 PDT 2009

Hi Pat,

Since I'll be missing the TAP meeting tomorrow, I thought I'd just
reiterate a couple of points that I mentioned to you for more general
discussion.

I've looked over the draft and scribbled lots of comments but these are
primarily issues for clarification or relatively minor points.  There
are two significant issues that do worry me though:

First, I think it is inappropriate for it to be a requirement that a TAP
service be registered for it to be a TAP service (2.1).  This seems like
an unnecessary entangling of protocols.  An appendix which discusses how
a TAP service may (or even should) be registered would be perfectly
appropriate.  I can see lots of uses for TAP services that might not be
registered and making it a requirement to register significantly
increases the burden on data providers.

Second, the metadata story is very confusing.  There are -- I think --
four distinct ways to get metadata at the table level.  I don't know if
all of these are needed or whether there is some redundancy that can be
eliminated.  Regardless there needs to be a much clearer explication of
what metadata can be gotten in each method.  This may lead to a
discussion of what's appropriate for a final standard, but we (or at
least I) need more clarity as to what the current document is requiring.
  Even if we decide to keep all of the current requirements, a clearer
exposition will make it easier to implement.

Regards,
	Tom