[TAP] 0.5 draft

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu May 21 09:43:59 PDT 2009

On Sat, 16 May 2009, Patrick Dowler wrote:

> I have posted TAP 0.5 to the wiki. This is the last draft before the meeting
> in Strasbourg.

Pat,

just a couple of minor items:

Sec 2.7.1 (MIME types):
   The CSV format is described in RFC 4180, not 4108 (is transposing
   the last two digits of an RFC number catching?  or is this revenge?)

   "text/cvs" should read "text/csv"

   "text/csv;header" is wrong; you mean "text/csv;header=present" -
   see RFC 4180 Sec 3.  You could RECOMMEND that the header part is
   included with one of the values "present" or "absent", but I wouldn't
   say that's necessary.

   The discussion of text/tab-separated-values could contain a
   reference to the IANA registration?
   (http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/tab-separated-values)

Sec 2.5:
   "By default, VOTable allows them to be written as an array of decimal
     numbers, e.g. 12 56 0 255 0 255 (one number per byte value)".
    Sounds a bit muddled - what does "By default" mean here?
    This comment only applies to TABLEDATA-format VOTables, but since
    you've required TABLEDATA I guess that's OK (though see below).
    I'd be inclined to just remove this sentence and reference the
    VOTable standard, but keep it if you'd rather.

    "... the service must accept tables in VOTable format, using a
     TABLEDATA element for content."
    Can I ask what the motivation for this new requirement is?
    I'm not necessarily saying I disagree with it.  (But I might).

Mark