separating TAP and query languages

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 23 10:36:32 PST 2009

Doug Tody wrote:
> Roy's multicone is the TAP param query.

This is not the story I see in the TAP document.  The problem is that as
soon as we say it is part of TAP, the document says we need full-blown
ADQL, which defeats the objective of simplicity.

Like this: "You can ride a bicycle, but only if you have a car following
you at all times."

So the only thing we can do is to try and submit Multicone as its own
standard, independent of the TAP effort.

If only ADQL were not mandatory.  If only TAP were a family of linked
protocols, rather than this monolith.

Roy

--

California Institute of Technology