separating TAP and query languages

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 23 10:49:56 PST 2009

Roy -

The multicone (multipos / param query) capability requires much of
the functionality in the basic TAP interface, e.g., table uploads,
output formatting, UWS for large queries, etc.  Furthermore we have
already agreed to separate out the param query functionality into a
separate document.  I warned earlier that this could lead to a big
step backward (separate table access interfaces for ADQL and param,
as we had one year ago), but we really do not want to take such
an enormous step backward and have two different TAP interfaces.

Please lets try to continue to have one TAP, merely with separable
query methods, but with most of the functionality in common.  This does
require however that the param query side of TAP actually do the job,
and fully specify how to do these types of queries within the context
of TAP and table access.  This is not true of the proposed generic PQL,
as we (NVO) noted in the posting by Bob last week.

 	- Doug