separating TAP and query languages

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 23 09:56:23 PST 2009

Hi Pat -

Roy's multicone is the TAP param query - that is multiposition queries,
combined with REGION and possibly a WHERE clause to restrict the query
with simple range expressions for specific table fields.  Simple as
this is, it is sufficient for the first stage of most catalog cross
matches, supports fully distributed queries, and it is scalable to
very large problems, while remaining quite simple and robust.

As you point out, the implied data model and higher level of
abstraction make it much easier to implement and use (for this
specific use case), than to try to do it with primitives within
a general query language.  ADQL is far more general and powerful,
but is not needed for this type of common astronomical use case,
at least not most of the time.

 	- Doug