resuming progress on TAP

Keith Noddle ktn at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Feb 13 06:27:32 PST 2009

> I'm glad to see the people who were reluctant to jump in jumping in.
> I'm also bummed I missed the day it seemed to happen.
You wait hours for a bus only for three to come along at the same
time... :-)

> I would like to suggest that my core question, what in the previous WDs
> are we trying to fix?
"Fix" is perhaps too strong; "considerably improve" gets closer. I'm
sure with enough effort we can push the current WD into REC. However, we
have an opportunity to do so much better with no additional effort and
no loss of time. I'm sure everyone is striving for the best possible
standard that addresses the requirements of the whole IVOA. I guess I've
kicked up loudest because I feel it is my duty as Chair to champion
these possibilities.

To recap, the proposal is that we separate out the "Payload" from the
"Service/Service Interface (aka Protocol)" specification(*). This leads
to the following advantages:

1: We write a simpler, cleaner TAP spec focused on the functions and
invocation mechanisms of the Service
2: TAP is independent of changes to ADQL and PQ meaning TAP does not
need to be re-ratified every time a change to the Payload spec is made
3: It is easy to add new Service Capabilities without having to amend
TAP (although I guess this is true of any service, somehow the
separation makes this cleaner)
4: Later, we can examine PQ and see if there are any elements common to
other (and future) DAL standards. If so, this means:
   4.1: Streamlined and simplified service development through code
reuse and/or libraries (cf ESAC experience writing DALToolkit)
   4.2: Simplified Client writing (reduced special-cases on a service by
service basis)

> That's what public review is meant to do: correct problems.  Recognize
> also that in doing so, we are stepping backward again.
Stepping sideways maybe, but not back. This is a reorganisation of the
work not an addition or subtraction. As I said above, the same amount of
work needs to be done; the restructuring merely changes emphasis not
outcome. It also meets Fabio's reiteration of our intent from Trieste
that we produce a single TAP standard that encompasses both ADQL and PQ.

Keith.

(*) http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DefiningDalStandards

--
Keith Noddle                    Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1894
AstroGrid Project manager       Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Leicester                       Email:  ktn at star.le.ac.uk
LE1 7RH, UK                     Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org