resuming progress on TAP

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 13 02:08:40 PST 2009

Hi TAPers,

I'm glad to see the people who were reluctant to jump in jumping in.  I'm
also bummed I missed the day it seemed to happen.

I would like to suggest that my core question, what in the previous WDs
are we trying to fix?, has yet to be spelled out.  I think Keith comes the
closest in his statement, "Conflating the Service Interface with the
Payload is the crux of the TAP issues, IMHO".  And so what are the issues?

Or does the current discussion come under category of public review of the
tiger team's work in which some fundemental choice is being rejected?

Last weekend, I reread versions 0.30 and 0.31, and I was reminded that the
result was pretty good.  So perhaps as a community we might come to
conclude that these are flawed, not self-consistent or not future-proof.
That's what public review is meant to do: correct problems.  Recognize
also that in doing so, we are stepping backward again.

cheers,
Ray