resuming progress on TAP

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 13 09:59:08 PST 2009

Gentlemen -

I really don't understand this proposal and don't see what it
accomplishes other than removal of PQ from TAP.  Presumably we had
agreed, first in Trieste and again earlier this week, that TAP would
include both AQ and PQ, but here we are still spending all of our time
discussing removing PQ from TAP, rather than for example discussing the
technical issues required to get to where we can resume prototyping.
If we go down this route of splitting TAP into two documents I
think we will very likely find ourselves back at square one, with
two separate TAP specifications.  PQ cannot be defined separately
from TAP; as conceived it is an integral part of TAP, sharing most
of its functionality with AQ.  It was never intended to be a general
query language.

If instead we finish what we started, what we will have is one TAP
spec with AQ and PQ as alternate query methods.  If someone does
not want PQ they can simply ignore those sections.  If someone does
want PQ it is clearly specified in TAP, and it is easy to see how
AQ and PQ come together in one service implementation, with much of
their functionality in common.  Those of us who do want PQ will have
something which works robustly now, providing key astronomy specific
functionality such as cone and region searches, multi-position queries
(multicone), and client friendly table metadata queries, while we
continue to develop AQ, which despite what I am hearing is the more
complex and poorly defined part of TAP.  When ultimately all of this
is mature we will have a well structured and well integrated interface
providing a range of capabilities from simple to advanced.

Perhaps we should focus on finishing a TAP 0.4 WD and get on with
another round of prototyping.  If all we have next is a WD it does not
have to be perfect with all issues resolved.  We may be in a better
position to resolve these structural/scope issues once a second round
of prototyping is completed.

 	- Doug