do something useful and simple first

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 6 10:18:56 PST 2009

Hi Roy,

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Roy Williams wrote:
> Yes, OpenSkyQuery is excellent for crossmatch. However, I maintain that what
> you can do there can be done easily as a two-stage process: first do
> multicone for the rough crossmatch, then download the result to the desktop
> and refine the result with further selections, using Topcat/Stilts. So
> multicone gives us the ability to do crossmatch, and of course we can do
> single-catalog query with existing facilities (eg Vizier). What else is
> there?

You can certainly accomplish something useful with this technique;
however, will this really scale?  If you want to do a massive
crossmatch, do you have to essentially download entire databases?  An
important innovation of OpenSkyQuery is a strategy for doing it
more efficiently across distributed databases.

> What are the "many capabilities" you mention below?

Of course, the short-coming of cone search is that it only allows a single
cone constraint.  You would like to extend beyond this to allow multiple
cones.  We have in the past needed other constraints supported (the galaxy
morphology demo needed a redshift constraint).  Any such variation on the
cone search could be accomplished with TAP because it allows arbitrarily
complex queries.

> There are already many versions of multicone out there (*). It is mainly a
> rather simple question of standard formatting for the upload table
> (RA,Dec,ID,radius for each). The version 2 standard could handle asynchronous
> operation for vary large queries.
>
> Am I alone in this addiction to customer requirements and pragmatism? Am I
> just being very short-sighted? Everyone else in this list is sure we need the
> generality, complexity, and sophistication that TAP may provide eventually?

I wouldn't want discourage your idea.  If you see the need is urgent, I
don't see why it can't be pursued in parallel with TAP.  Let's see a
proposal and we can evaluate whether it makes sense to pursue it now.
Then it becomes a question of whether it make sense to encourage the
community to adopt it in advance of TAP.

hope this helps,
Ray