DAL/TAP Response

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Feb 6 09:19:37 PST 2009

On Friday 06 February 2009 03:33:02 Ray Plante wrote:
> Splitting the spec into the two steps would appear to favor (a) the REST
> architectural approach and (b) the choice of layering Param-Query on top
> of ADQL.

Splitting the two can also been seen as treating param-query as a query
language in it's own right (an alternative language to ADQL) and in my
opinion there is a good case to be made to do just that. There has always
been an idea in the background to allow for use of other query languages
(including pass-through native SQL for power users of specific systems, for
example)...

I have not thought about this in much detail, but considerable clarity may be
gained by formulating PQ as a simple query language and then determining a
consistent way to express it in terms of http-params (obviously attempting to
be consistent with existing practice). Just thinking about it this way may
help to resolve the tension in the current draft spec.

Just a thought,

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7