do something useful and simple first

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Feb 6 09:53:09 PST 2009

Ray

Yes, OpenSkyQuery is excellent for crossmatch. However, I maintain that
what you can do there can be done easily as a two-stage process: first
do multicone for the rough crossmatch, then download the result to the
desktop and refine the result with further selections, using
Topcat/Stilts. So multicone gives us the ability to do crossmatch, and
of course we can do single-catalog query with existing facilities (eg
Vizier). What else is there? What are the "many capabilities" you
mention below?

There are already many versions of multicone out there (*). It is mainly
a rather simple question of standard formatting for the upload table
(RA,Dec,ID,radius for each). The version 2 standard could handle
asynchronous operation for vary large queries.

Am I alone in this addiction to customer requirements and pragmatism? Am
I just being very short-sighted? Everyone else in this list is sure we
need the generality, complexity, and sophistication that TAP may provide
eventually?
Roy

(*)
http://cas.sdss.org/dr7/en/tools/crossid/crossid.asp