towards 3D data model

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 14 10:23:06 PST 2005

Francois -

The characterization data model (also other general dataset data models
such as identification etc.) apply to all datasets hence would apply to
3D data as well.

For modeling 3D data in DAL, more is required as we need to model the
actual dataset.  Currently we have 2D sky images (SIA) and various kinds of
tabular spectrophotometric data (SSA).  My feeling is that what is required
for spectral datacubes is a generalization of the 2D image model to 3D.
This would build upon the spectrophotometric metadata developed for SSA to
describe the observable, plus FITS WCS to describe the coordinate system.

This is probably what is needed for regularly gridded data such as a
spectral data cube.  It is also possible that for some data of this sort,
e.g., MOS or IFU data where the spectra have already been extracted, that
we should use the SSA data model instead.  It would be easy to extend
this to collections of spectra, which is what one has in this case.

It is possible that to support spectral data cubes we should just
fold the support into a future version of SIA - whether or not this is
advisable depends upon how much it complicates things.  It may be that
the complications would justify a new data access interface for 3D data.
In particular, we don't know at this point what is required to cutout
regions of a large spectral data cube.  We need to understand the science
drivers better to analyze this, i.e., what sorts of analysis do we want
to target with this capability.

	- Doug