application/x-votable+xml

Markus Dolensky Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
Wed Jun 2 05:04:27 PDT 2004

Ok. We converged on MIME type ...

"application/x-votable+xml"

... as reflected by the new subject line. Thanks to Alasdair, Alberto and
Norman for the clarifications.

***

About the question of actually registering such a mime type:

"application" and "+xml" are already recognized. It's eventually an issue for
the VOTable group, but I would think that even if "votable+xml" is a recognized
subtype, non astronomer's tools could hardly do anything better than activating
some default xml mode similar to what happens when just "+xml" is encountered.

My motivation was to recommend a proper value for the FORMAT parameter of the
SSA interface spec. which is due in the coming weeks. To me a registered mime
type makes sense if VOTable is used for outreach/education products and we
intend to support special plug-ins for a broad public - but I don't think
VOTable is likely to replace SVG or the like.

Regards,
Markus