Spectrum Data Model Implementation

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 7 09:29:53 PDT 2004

Hi Tamas -

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Tamas Budavari wrote:
> Those 3 columns are defined in the <Wavelength> tag, which in fact seems
> to be missing from the "simple" example. Thanks for pointing it out! This
> implementation was BTW following the IVOA twiki document
>
> 	http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IVOADMSpectraWP/spec.pdf
>
> I think it's called something different in version 0.5 but still separate
> GROUP in VOTable terms.

The most recent version of the SSA data model I am aware of (V0.5) is the one
on the DAL wiki page from the Boston meeting, at

    http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2004DAL/spec2.pdf

> Unfortunatelly, empty columns in the current data model (or class
> structure) can't be just omitted easily. If they were objects and not
> numbers, then we could make them nullable (or nilable). We may be able
> to play some tricks here if really needed but in this prototype we kept
> everything even though didn't fill in all the fields.

So far as the *data model* is concerned the fields can generally be
omitted, or vector fields can be represented as scalars.  This is actually
a pretty important aspect of the SSA data model since dataset instances
will generally be much simpler then the full data model permits, with only
2-3 vector columns and many of the scalar parameters omitted or defaulted.
The interesting issue here is whether this flexibility in representation
can be implemented reasonably with XML Schema and WS.  Can we omit or
default defined elements, or extend the model with non-standard elements?

	- Doug