SIA Evolution Proposal

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Sun Apr 18 06:28:41 PDT 2004

I would just like to back up Francois by saying that I would have found it
almost impossible to do the sort of science which we did with the AVO
Demo, involving selecting and comparing hundreds of images and spectra, at
resolutions from 50 mas to arcmin, without heirachical data access.  At
least, the alternative would have been to do it the old way, searching
through long lists by hand or having to zoom in and wait for images to
redisplay. For datacubes, it is the answer to a vsiualisation problem
which has been bugging me for years and it could be adapted to multi-epoch
or multi-polaization data too.  Much quicker to have the meta-data
available on multiple scales and for images, catalogues and spectra!

I do think that IDHA is still a bit opticl specific but that's easy to
fix...

cheers

Dr. Anita M. S. Richards, AVO Astronomer
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,
Jodrell Bank Observatory, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K.
tel +44 (0)1477 572683 (direct); 571321 (switchboard); 571618 (fax).