SIA Evolution Proposal

Francois Bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Sun Apr 18 14:45:20 PDT 2004

Thank you Anita,
    When I was speaking yesterday of going backwards from Hierachical
structure to a simple structure with references fields, I spoke only
from the VOTable documents wwe are using for DAL purposes. In my
mind the interfaces in the AVO , or the IVOA have to provide hierarchical
(or lattice) browsers like the metadatree. We haaave assesed that the kind
of format we proposed for SIAP evolution makes this easy.
Regards
François
<
<I would just like to back up Francois by saying that I would have found it
<almost impossible to do the sort of science which we did with the AVO
<Demo, involving selecting and comparing hundreds of images and spectra, at
<resolutions from 50 mas to arcmin, without heirachical data access.  At
<least, the alternative would have been to do it the old way, searching
<through long lists by hand or having to zoom in and wait for images to
<redisplay. For datacubes, it is the answer to a vsiualisation problem
<which has been bugging me for years and it could be adapted to multi-epoch
<or multi-polaization data too.  Much quicker to have the meta-data
<available on multiple scales and for images, catalogues and spectra!
<
<I do think that IDHA is still a bit opticl specific but that's easy to
<fix...
<
<cheers
<a
<
<- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
<Dr. Anita M. S. Richards, AVO Astronomer
<MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,
<Jodrell Bank Observatory, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K.
<tel +44 (0)1477 572683 (direct); 571321 (switchboard); 571618 (fax).
<
<
SAUVONS LA RECHERCHE :  <http://recherche-en-danger.apinc.org/>

Francois   Bonnarel               Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de donnees          11, rue de l'Universite
astronomiques de Strasbourg)    F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11       WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25       E-mail: bonnarel at astro.u-strasbg.fr