Data Model serialisation in VOTable

Martin @ ROE mch at roe.ac.uk
Tue Apr 13 06:49:08 PDT 2004

Returning to my favourite subject:

Why are we trying to serialise data models to VOTable?  There are
already industry standard mechanisms for serialising object models to
XML. Trying to use a VO-specific table format to represent general data
models sounds like an interesting computer science problem, but not
something that will help takeup or interoperability of VO services.

Deriving a new schema that describes the XML/model is the right way to
go, not forcing new models into inapropriate schemas just because we
happen to have one lying around.  Not all problems can (or should) be
solved using the same spanner.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Regards,

Martin

Francois Bonnarel wrote:

> Dear Dal and DM colleagues,
>    M.Louys and I just completed an IVOA note on rules we
> propose to use to serialise a Data Model in VOTable.
>    This is a contribution to the discussion on Data Model
> serialisation/ Votable interface  planned for the following
> weeks.

>    Today you can find it there:
>    http://alinda.u-strasbg.fr/ModelVOTSer.pdf
>
>    Hope to have this on the IVOA note later today.
>

>    Another note (by T.Boch, P.Fernique, M.louys, A.Micol and I)
> which is a proposal for SIA evolution is to be released also today.
>
> Regards
> François
>

> SAUVONS LA RECHERCHE :  <http://recherche-en-danger.apinc.org/>

> Francois   Bonnarel               Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
> CDS (Centre de donnees          11, rue de l'Universite
> astronomiques de Strasbourg)    F--67000 Strasbourg (France)
>
> Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11       WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
> Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25       E-mail: bonnarel at astro.u-strasbg.fr

Martin Hill
Software Engineer, AstroGrid (ROE)