FORTRAN access to .NET web services

martin hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Fri Oct 17 08:26:16 PDT 2003

http://www.lahey.com/lf70/netwtpr1.htm#web

should work with other WSDL-defined web services too.

We had a discussion about providing document-based web services vs RPC web
services on the AstroGrid project, at

http://forum.astrogrid.org/read.php?action=lastpost&TID=452

We originally provided document-based web-service datacenters and they
worked.  We are now going to transfer over to RPC ones and either I shall
say "I told you so" or say nothing at all and pretend I approved.

I would be interested to know how the folks on this list feel about creating
various web services.  I get the impression that people are happy creating
http/get-based ones (like the NVO cone search is, and the SIAP and SSA will
be) but feel a bit more wary of document-based ones (whether http/get-serviced
or Remote-Procedure-Call serviced) and very sceptical about fully RPC-ones.
Yet I am told that in fact making WSDL-described RPC services is as easy or
easier than http/get based ones. This was by software engineers though; I
expect to get to grips with both over the next few weeks, and if people are
interested I will report back to this group (and DAL) about how easy it
was/wasnot.

--
Martin Hill
07901 55 24 66