A Working document has been submitted

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 7 13:56:43 PDT 2003

We had a similar discussion in the context of DAL a while back, and ended
up proposing a new tag UTYPE for this purpose.  UTYPE is a pointer into
a data model, and serves to identify the unique data model attribute
associated with, e.g, a field or column of a VOTable (and also thereby
indirectly associating all the attributes of a given data model).
The same field could also have a UCD, which serves a different purpose.

The idea goes like this:

    o	We formally define a data model somewhere on the Web within the VO.
    	This includes a namespace for each data model (and other things
	such as a schema, whitepaper defining the data model, etc.).

    o	A VOTable which uses a given data model (DM) will reference the DM
	namespace.

    o	Each UTYPE tag specifies the data model namespace, and the data
    	model attribute associated with the field or other data item,
	e.g., UTYPE=<dm><attribute>.

    o	The attributes of a data model can thus be mapped into votable
    	columns (or other structures), with the ability to rigorously
	identify and associate each such DM attribute.  One can then do
	things like extract the DM attributes and pass them off to
	analysis software, go back to the published DM schema to autoverify
	the DM attributes, and so forth.

Both UCD (fuzzy knowledge tags) and UTYPE (rigorous pointer into data
model) have their place.  UCD provides a simple way to do semantic
associations without requiring data models, topic maps, etc., and UTYPE
allows one to reliably use data models, e.g., for data analysis or for
more precise queries.

	- Doug